Friday, January 13, 2012

Thankfulness Journal

  I have been reading "One Thousand Gifts". It is a quirky book written in a very different writing style that is not easy to just pick up and read. You almost have to set time aside to read a little and then think about it, read a little more and then ponder some more. But in this book, the author challenges herself to make of list of 1000 things that she is thankful for; an ongoing list that she adds to each day, week, year. Before Thanksgiving, alot of us on Facebook took that challenge for the month of November. It was interesting to see what all of my friends came up with to be thankful for. Family, friends, spouses, health. Those were of course listed. But others wrote in about that particular pink cloud they had seen at sunrise or the steam on the mirror of their bathroom after a long, hot bath.

  Just recently in another blog I follow, the writer has given herself the challenge to cast aside negative thoughts as they come to her each day and make a concerted effort to think positively instead. Out with the negative--in with the positive. Sounds easy at first, but when you really start to analyze the typical day, I bet most of us could say that the negative thought patterns outweigh the positive ones. No examples are necessary I am sure.

  So in an attempt to see my world in a positive light all this month----maybe even till February---I will try to make my own list of things that I am thankful for each day. Feel free to add to this list as you see fit.

God's Love
Children that grow up and make you smile
Grandchildren that are squeezable, huggable and kissable
The cozy crocheted blanket on my bed that my very missed mother made for me
Warm socks
Authors who write something worth reading
Dinner made by a friend
Lady Earl Grey Tea in a sturdy china cup early in the morning before anyone else is awake
The feeling you get when you open your eyes first thing in the morning and you know it is going to be a wonderful day.
Christmas shopping in October
My chickens
My canary
A REAL letter from a dear friend that arrives in your REAL mailbox
Beautiful stationary
Wax seals with initials printed in them
Anything Victorian
Springtime bulbs
Listening to the ocean--anytime
The owl's hooting just outside my bedroom window
Dancing like a teenager even when I am not one
Singing along with Paul McCartney from the 2nd row
Yelling for that winning touchdown in overtime---Go Broncos
Hearing an old gospel song that brings tears to my eyes
Taking a deep breath and knowing that things are going to fine
Feet that work
Doctors that are smart
Movies that are worth the time it takes to watch them
Blogging sights where you can write and write and write


More later....

No comments:

Post a Comment