Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snow Storms

I am sitting in a hotel room in Denver watching the blizzard of 2009 swirl past my windows. The pool below me has steam coming off of it and looks a little out of place in the mad winter/spring snowstorm.

Snow in Colorado is not unusual; in fact for March it is pretty common place. We are more likely to have snow at Easter out here in the West than at Christmas! But is always seems to surprise me....even though I have lived here for almost 15 years. Each time we get a few springlike days with high 70 degree weather, I get to thinking maybe we will get passed by for our spring snow. I get out the seed catalogs and start planning the garden. I go to Walmart and see if they have any new garden tools that I just HAVE to have. I even go out to my son's greenhouse and see if he has any early pansies or snapdragons that I might plant out to make spring hurry along just a bit.

And every year without fail I am shocked back into the reality of living in Colorado----this time it is suppose to be 12-18 inches worth of shock! An me and my 2 girls and 3 extra friends all in a hotel about 75 miles from home!!!

We came up to Denver for a speech tournament that was to last the entire weekend. We were all looking forward to it so much. Old friends, great competition, and a little time away in Denver. The flowers are blooming up here and the trees are budded out...always such a nice time to be in Denver.

But the snow started this morning and they closed the college down where the meet was being held, and with no option of driving all the way back home we headed for the hotel. What is usually a 15 minute drive turned into a 60 minute crawl, and all of us traveling in our 15 passenger van!!!! Talk about stressful.

But we made it and we are all safe and sound-----the girls are all in their PJ's watching a movie and texting friends. I am catching up on emails and this blog, and springtime in the Rockies is howling outside around the lonely pool below my window sill.

No comments:

Post a Comment