Friday, January 8, 2016

Snowing and I am baking

Hello from a lovely snowy day in Colorado. It is a perfect day to be in the kitchen baking. I have classical music on, a candle burning and still in my jammies! I love to bake in my PJ's. I put the cute apron on that I got in England last year and make the biggest mess you have ever seen.

I dirty almost every dish and baking tool in my kitchen. Flour is always all over the floor and counters are sticky. And in awhile the yummy smells come out of the oven and I am transported back to my mom's kitchen. She also was a very messy baker. I always got the dish washing job after one of her baking sprees. I grew up really knowing how to wash dishes. But my mom wasnt a very patient teacher, so I never really learned to cook or bake from her. I just got to clean up!

But now that I am cooking through her recipe box, and I trying to learn to be as great of a cook as she was. Here are two of the recipes I would love to share with you today. Happy Baking!

Coffee Cake   9x11 pan      350 degrees  35 minutes

2 1/2 c flour
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. salt
3/4 cup veg. oil

Mix well...save 1/2 c for topping

1t. baking soda
1t. baking powder
1 c buttermilk
1 egg
nuts  raisins  optional

Add to above and mix at med. speed

Sprinkle with topping before baking.



Fresh Apple Cake  9x11 pan  350 degrees  45 minutes

1/2 c butter
2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 t. baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 t vanilla
1c. chopped nuts
4 c. diced apples

Cream butter and sugar
Add eggs
Sift dry ingredients and add all together. Mix



No comments:

Post a Comment