Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Mom's Recipe Box

Happy 2016. I decided that my New Years Resolution this year was going to be cooking through my mom's recipe box that I inherited when she passed a few years ago. My mom was an AMAZING cook so this could only turn out good, right?

Well...the first recipe was for her amazing Apple Cake. The recipe was written in my handwriting and when I looked it over I remembered my mom asking me when I was in Jr. High to rewrite some of her recipes over in better handwriting than the original cards had been written. I got out my grandma's mixing bowl, my mom's recipe and all the ingredients that were on the list. Mixing, baking, tasting. YUCK! What was that strong chemical taste? This was a great delicious cake when my mom made it...what happened?

So in my Jr. High years I wasnt very precise with my copying skills and instead of 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda I had transcribed 2 teaspoons! Oh my...that does not taste so great when you take a big bite of it hot out of the oven. So into the trash that went and red pen was used to correct that error on the 3x5 card. Lesson learned.

Since that day I have made quite a few of her recipes and tonight is no exception. Chop Suey is on the menu. I will include her recent recipes with each of my blogs, and I hope you will try them out and let me know how you enjoyed them. Happy Cooking!

Millie's Recipes

Apple Cake

4 eggs                                                                    
2/3 cup veg. oil                                                  
3 cups sugar                                                          
2 t. vanilla                                                        
2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t cinnamon
4 cups flour

1cup walnut pieces
5 apples diced

Stir by hand first 8 ingredients
Add nuts and apples. Stir well.
Put in greased Bundt pan.
Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour


Apple Crisp

Peel and dice apples to fill a 6x10 inch greased baking dish
Mix-
1 c flour                                                                
1/2 t. cinnamon                                                    
1/2-1 cup sugar                                                    
1t. baking powder
1 t salt
1 egg
Mix and spread over apples.
Pour 1/3 c melted butter over all.
Bake 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes



Pineapple Pork Chops and Rice

6 thin pork chops(or chicken breasts)                                                
2 T. butter                                                              
1 can (8oz) crushed pineapple                                
1 cup of water or a little more if needed                
3/4 t salt                                                                  
1 1/2 cups Minute rice                                            
 Season and brown pork chops in butter
Add pineapple. Reduce heat : cover and simmer till tender.
Cook about 20 minutes. Move chops to one side:add water and salt.
Bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.                                                                              


Chop Suey

4 c pork cubes browned                                        
4 c diced celery                                                    
4 c diced onions                                                    
1-1 1/2 c water                                                  
                                                                           
Add all together and let simmer in pan with lid on.                                                                        
Add to skillet:
2 T Soy Sauce
1 T Molasses
1 can bean sprouts
1 can mushrooms
Mix together and heat through.                                                                            

                                                                                                                                                             .

Hope you enjoy. More recipes to follow as I test them out.



No comments:

Post a Comment