Friday, October 11, 2013

Grandma...there's alot of smoke...conclusion

It has been 4 months to the day that the massive fire roared through the Black Forest. My property looks almost back to normal. It is missing about 150 trees that are now cut and stacked for burning in our fireplace. My kitchen ceiling has been replaced. The burned grass has been replaced by green. And the charred  smell in the woods is fading.

My grandson said to me yesterday---"grandma, maybe there could be another fire so you could come stay with us again. I love it when you stay with us." So sweet. During the terrible destruction, memories were being made with him.

The forest is alive with chain saws and bulldozers and hammers. People are cleaning up their property, tearing down burned and building up new. Hearts that were heavy for so long seem to be lifted a little with each new construction site that pops up. Renewal and rebirth are here---very evident in our little community.

I can't say I am thankful for the fire that took so many homes from so many people that I know and love. But I am thankful that the human spirit is alive and well in the Black Forest to rebuild and go on.


No comments:

Post a Comment