Thursday, August 9, 2018

Consistent with Life

Keeping up with writing a blog is alot of work. It takes time, dedication and something worthwhile to write about. I admire the daily bloggers that work at their craft. I would love to have that kind of dedication to something...anything!  I find my intentions pure from the start. My enthusiasm will be overflowing with a new idea or project. I get everything I need to get started, set aside time and lay it all out. And then it happens. Distractions  Discouragement. Life. And then it takes a very long time for me to get back around to that very same project once I stop.

I have taken classes in calligraphy, water coloring, quilting, writing. I have went to seminars on how to become a best selling author, how to become a better teacher and how to run your own small business. I have read books on organizing, decluttering, selling online and being a master gardener. I am in the middle of taking a correspondence course on how to be a florist and I can't quite seem to finish that last book and test. All of these areas interested me but somewhere along the line they have all lost my interest. 

It could be that I lost interest because I wasn't very good at any of the things I chose. Or that they took up much too much time or space that my house was not willing to give. But in reality, the real reason I haven't finished most of these projects was because I was inconsistent.

The only thing I seem to be consistent with is being inconsistent. That's not to say I don't finish projects. I have pieces of handwork framed in my office that I completed and even put in a county fair. My closet has been purged of all the clothes I haven't worn in the last 18 months and the bags were taken to Goodwill. (Thank you Hannah). My laundry is done and usually folded and put away in the same week. I am caught up with paying bills and reading for my bookclub. But I still would love to be more dedicated to writing, painting, creating. So here is the challenge I am making to myself.

This fall I am having back surgery that will lay me low for about 4 months. No bending or reaching. Not much driving. No carrying anything heavier that my purse. And I don't relish the idea of watching Netflix for 4 months or paging through endless home decorating magazines. So I am going to give myself a challenge. I am going to work on those photo albums that I am putting together for the kids. I am going to finish that piece of velvet handwork that is begging to be done. And I am going to be more consistent about writing in this blog. I have set up an office/art room right next to my bedroom where I hope to complete some of my many projects. And I want to be more purposeful in seeking out projects that will keep me interested and that I will enjoy.

4 months is a long time to be at home on the mend, but I think it will be a great time to get me on track to being consistent with my life. Encourage me. Bug me. Even nag me if you have to. I need all the help I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment