Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Testing

In the morning we will be tested on what we have learned these past two weeks at training for CCI---Canine Companions for Independence. We have a written test and also a field test where we will go to the mall and see if we know what we are doing with these incredibly intelligent animals.


What have we learned? I have learned that raising dogs has alot in common with being a parent. The key is being consistent, fair and balanced. We can't ask the dogs to do something that they have not learned if they have not been taught it in the first place. We must teach them what we expect, discipline when it is not followed, and be consistent! Like being a good parent.

I have learned that my problems are minimal compared to many I have met these past two weeks. I have learned that Josiah's problems are minimal compared to many we have met these past two weeks! I have learned that a dog can make us forget our problems, even if just for a little while.

I have learned that I really love Colorado, even though the ocean is wonderful. I miss the lovely mountains and the pine trees and the great smell of the woods behind our house. I day dream about taking Racer on walks and working in our gardens and having all of the family over to meet our new companion. I do really want to get home to our life and our home.

I have learned that Jordan is quite possibly one of the best older brothers Josiah could have. He is helpful and willing but he also is the older brother. Josiah has a handicap, but he is still an annoying younger brother to Jordan sometimes, and Jordan doesn't take very much from him. For that I am grateful. I do not want any of my kids growing up thinking they can get away with things just because there is a wheelchair in the equation or their skin is a different color, or they are the opposite sex.

I have learned that alot of what I have learned is probably not on the test. I do know the answer to "If your dog is in public, and someone wants to pet him, what should you say?", or "If you meet a strange dog on the street what should you do to avoid a fight?"."What are the commands to get Racer to open the refrigerator?","How many times should you take your dog to the bathroom?" These I know----but I have learned so very much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment